FMM: Goals and More

Goals and More

1. Brag about some of your daily, healthy habits. I regularly drink 100-125oz of water a day without any problem and I haven’t had soda in over a year (don’t miss it one bit). I abide by the philosophy of not drinking my calories. Also, I’ve been happily artificial sweetener free for about a month.

2. Do you track your daily food intake? If so, how? From August 2011 until last week, I was a Weight Watchers loyalist. I loved it, but I am at a point in my journey where I need to move on. Finally cancelled my account the other day, and now I solely track with My Fitness Pal. (Bigger post about my WW breakup later.)

3. What do you want to change most about your daily routine? I’ve been at this for so long that my general daily routine is pretty solid. There are days I’ll get derailed, but on the whole I’ve got it down to a science. Though it wouldn’t hurt to get more vegetables in my diet.

4. How often do you exercise? Six days a week, or five days when I’m particularly lazy.

5. How do you stay on track when you’re on the go? This is where I’ve failed the most, and I haven’t even had to travel or go on an extended vacation yet. Sometimes I will smuggle fruits or granola bars in my purse, and I will always check out the menu of a restaurant beforehand to plan my meal. But do I always follow through with my planning? Hardly ever.

6. What’s one excuse you use that prevents you from reaching your goals? Ah, the excuses. Where do I begin? People keep complimenting me, so I must look good enough already, no need to rush my weight loss. I’ve already lost 125 pounds in 14 months; most people are taking twice as long as me, no need to rush my weight loss. Oh, all my clothes are fitting fine, and most of them are size small already. Why rush my weight loss? And finally – I’ve been doing the healthy thing forever; I deserve a break!

Oh crap, I just reread the question and saw “one excuse.” Oh well.

7. What scares your most about your journey? Reaching my goal, and still not feeling 100% comfortable in my own skin. When you’re fat, you can easily tell yourself that all the things that are wrong in your life are due to your weight. Surprise! Fit people have problems too.

8. What do you think will change most when you reach your goal? I will probably be more willing to try new things, workout wise or just adventure wise.

9. What motivates you to reach your goals? I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I might have dragged my heels these past couple of months, but I’ve still got my eye on the prize. And everyone around me both online and in real life has been so unbelievably supportive; I wouldn’t want to let them down either!

10. Share a few of your goals. My next immediate mini-goal is to log a BMI not considered “obese.” Mine is exactly 30 right now, and I need about a pound before I’m downgraded to “overweight.” I know BMI isn’t everything, especially since my body fat percentage indicates I am not obese, but I want to disassociate myself with that word as much possible. Once that’s out of the way, my sole focus will be losing body fat and building lean muscle mass. My next hydrostatic test will be in about three months, and I’ll want to have lost at least 2-3% body fat by then.

Want to share your goals (and more)? Copy these questions and link up here!

7 thoughts on “FMM: Goals and More

1. July 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Came by from FMM. Love your excuses — and though it’s not the place to say it, congrats on your progress! Very bona fide fear I think. I’ve often thought the same thing.

1. August 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM

(Full disclosure: I was emteexrly overweight for over a decade. My weight is now squarely in the middle of the BMI recommendation for my height.)While BMI is may not be the be all and end all answer to what a person should weigh, it does give a standard rule of thumb for a person to shoot for. I am a 6’0″ male the weight range the BMI scale for “normal” is 35 pounds wide.While BMI may not be the best gauge of “health” it is a decent gauge for what the “average” person should weigh. I find it interesting when people say the scale is just flat wrong they tend to use athletes who are obviously way outside the norm to bolster the case. A NFL linesman or NBA star is hardly an average person.As people age their healthy weight tends to increase. Depending on the if it was controlled for in the study the reason people with lower BMI values may tend to have higher mortally rates has to do with their overall health. They may well be lighter because of health issues.I would never argue that BMI is a good approximation of overall health, there is far more to being healthy than just a healthy weight. It is also not healthy to assume that because a person weighs more than the BMI scale suggests, that they are in the same physical shape as Terrell Owens. Unfortunately most over weight people use examples like Duante Culpepper as an excuse to convince themselves they are not over weight.Health comes from eating well, exercising regularly and regular checkups to detect issues as early as possible. Throwing out the BMI scale will do next to nothing to change the overall health of society. No mater what arbitrary scale is used people will always point to the exceptions to provide validation for their beliefs.

2. July 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I get sick of drinking plain water all the time so I try to look for other things to try so that I don’t reach for a diet coke. I have been filling my big ole Starbucks tumbler with water, ice, a 1/2 tbsp of chia seeds, lemon/lime juice ( 1 lemon/lime) and a bit of Stevia. Tastes like a mild lemonade and the chia fills me up.

1. August 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM

You know what they say about excuses…people need to get real about their whgeit and health. If you drop food off your fork and it lands on your stomach instead of your lap, you are overweight or obese (unless you are pregnant, or have some horrible disease like cirrhosis). Come on, if you are overweight, be honest about it! Stop making excuses. If you are “yo-yoing” on your whgeit, its because you are not being consistent with a healthy daily eating pattern (generally eating a healthy meal or snack every three to four hours that contain a little protein, high fiber carbs, and a little healthy fat), and not sticking with a little daily exercise (at least 30 minutes per day of brisk walking, and 2-3 days per week of a little strength training. If you are REALLY doing those things, and watching your total calories, and are STILL having massive whgeit fluctuations, you need to see your doctor for a medical evaluation to find out what the problem is! But be honest. By the way, BMI is just an easy and inexpensive way to screen for obesity; its pretty obvious when a high BMI is from muscle instead of fat. Just open your eyes! If you don’t trust your eyes, and need an “objective” measure, pull out a tape measure, and measure around the biggest part of your abdomen, and then measure around your hips. Take a calculator and divide the first number by the second. This is called the waist: hip ratio, and for men the number shouldn’t be bigger than 1.0 (for women it shouldn’t be bigger than 0.8 unless they are pregnant). If its larger – you are at risk for diabetes, heart disease and other problems – and you need to get on the ball!

3. August 2, 2012 at 4:35 AM

one of my goals is to log a BMI not considered OBESE or OVERWEIGHT too

1. August 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Ok,Mercurior. It’s late and I’m in a good mood, let’s engage.Body coiomsitpon is not about “outward appearance” — precisely the opposite, as I mentioned above. There is great discussion about the value of body coiomsitpon numbers as real numbers describing precisely how much of your body mass is fat. The view of body coiomsitpon is evolving from a 2-part model (fat and non-fat) to a 3-part model (fat, non-fat tissues, and bone density). Science shows the 3-part model is more accurate, but the bone density testing is expensive. Professionals are recommending clients who need to monitor body fat percentage choose a method and monitor that number in relation to other performance factors. The number, in isolation, is nearly meaningless.However, while the number itself is nearly meaningless, the construct represented by the number is important. Skin-fold measurements can show progress toward a lean-mass goal. Dieting is not recommended, but rather healthy eating is emphasized in addition to increasing load-bearing exercise to encourage the development of lean body mass.Unless you are anticipating famine, fat mass is useless tissues that have to be supported. The support of those tissues is subjecting your body to unhealthy physical stressors.As you have stated many times previously, you are overweight but your other indicators of health are perfectly in line. Good for you.For others who are concerned about their health, skin-fold measurement can be a more accurate and satisfying way to measure progress than weighing in.